Canon 70-200 f4 IS vs Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX OS

Started Feb 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
HardMF247 New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS vs Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX OS

I have both. Bought the Sigma first and like it BUT it's big, heavy and not conspicuous AT ALL. So much so that I found myself not wanting to take it with me. I actually don't use it too often. So I picked up a used Canon 70-200 f/4 and LOVE IT. The IQ is great and yeah, 2.8 would be nice but I find that with a good low light full frame camera like the 6d it still is fast enough in low light. Plus, the DOF and bokeh are great as well. Like I said the IQ is great...can't quite put my finger on what is so much better but the pics just seem to have more "life" to them. And I found out that at any given focal length the Sigma isn't as long which wouldn't be a big deal on a non-telephoto lens but being that I bought the 70-200 for the reach it is important to me. If the Canon FL at 200 mm is actually what it should be at 200mm I don't know exactly what the Sigma is but it's definitely not as long.

In summary, the IQ is so good and it's significantly lighter and smaller that I rarely take the Sigma out anymore even in low light conditions. I can leave the lens on the canon when traveling...the Sigma is too big to leave it on when it's not in use (for me anyway).

And it is weather sealed...which I thought I wouldn't care about until I wanted to take pics of my kids sledding during a snow storm.

Hope that helps.

HardMF247's gear list:HardMF247's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow