How much does 5DSR autofocus vary from shot to shot?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Oleg B Volk New Member • Posts: 5
How much does 5DSR autofocus vary from shot to shot?

I am trying to figure out why I get so many fuzzy, badly focused photos with 70-200/2.8 IS II. I tried various ways of micro-adjusting AF, but it seems that each successive attempt at autofocus produces more that 10 points of variation (with the scale going +/-20). Is that possible? I tried something similar with two 5D mk.2 bodies and got similar results -- it seems that Canon AF is incapable of producing the same result twice in a row. Is there a way to find out what's wrong? The body and the lens went back to Canon together last summer because the camera produced 90% blurry photos (looked like motion blur, but wasn't) out of the box. Upon return from CPS, it worked better, but I am getting almost uniformly out of focus images at distances past 15ft even from a tripod unless I use Live View. Is that typical of prosumer Canon bodies?

Is there a better way to test the problem? I tried a ruler at 45 degrees from about 6ft, and also a flat high contrast card at about 20ft. The best results seem to be with micro adjustment at various points between +/-10, and the test never gives the same results twice.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5DS R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow