I've Made My Choice On My Adobe Replacement

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SaltLakeGuy
SaltLakeGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,653
I've Made My Choice On My Adobe Replacement

I've searched long and hard for a program that would replace the Abobe Photoshop/Lightroom CC package. I've had it, it's been ok, but I'm not going to renew each year. I like so many, wanted a program that will offer updates, will work with the latest Fuji cameras in RAW as well as providing all of most important capabilities of Lightroom. I tried On1 and Affinity before coming to my conclusions. So if you're curious my choice is:

Alien Skin Exposure X2

Why you ask? It was the last of the programs I tried so been through them all before trying it. I must say it is by FAR the most "intuitive". I watched ONE short movie on it's operation, probably less than 5 minutes. I was able to immediately process an entire RAF file from start to finish in no time. The controls are so darned intuitive and clear with no confusion. All adjustments making perfect sense and being easily seen quickly.

While in some cases not "instant" to render it's pretty darned fast. I happen to be user primarily of the "brush" capabilities of a given program. On1's was horrid, Affinity required you to get a degree first and was NOT real smooth and stable. The brush functions on Alien Skin's program are from the get go smooth and non destructive with plenty of adjustment to taste possible. Their masking capabilities are an absolute gem and easy to apply. It easily processes both Compressed AND Uncompressed RAF files right from the get go no problems. In fact one thing that impressed me was that the colors didn't even require my messing with them to get things right. Even in RAW the resulting file is so close to right it's amazing. The noise reduction is the best I've run into since PhotoNinja and I'm looking forward to doing some more high ISO work to see how it does in the worst scenarios.

Although personal taste of layout and manner in which files are loaded and worked with is a big factor, all I can say is it's as if their panel of designers had me in the room taking my requests. I purposely won't post any picture results as on this forum people just seem to jump all over stuff that often doesn't deserve to have that happen. And of course taste is once again a major factor.

I mainly posted this to let people know about this outstanding program and encourage all of you to try theirFREE trial they offer for 30 days, which is quite nice. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Oh and there is by the way NO "worms" created by this program in processing RAW files on it.......this is for certain. Give it a try and good luck and by all means report back your results. I'll be signing up for this for sure as soon as my trial runs out. http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +8 more
Leica X2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
LH
jfw
LH
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LH
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow