Tokina ATX 150-500mm/5.6 on e-Bay

Started Dec 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
fwcetus
fwcetus Senior Member • Posts: 1,524
Re: Tokina ATX 150-500mm/5.6 on e-Bay

mwmcbroom wrote:

This is a stale thread, I know, but since I own a Tokina 150-500/5.6 SD, I thought I'd add my experiences.

Hi, Michael. "Stale thread" or not, you did provide some very useful info about this lens design, and serves as an example about the foolishness of the all-too-common shunning of replying to ~any~ "old" threads -- sometimes such posts ~do~ serve a useful purpose, depending on the topic, of course.

[...] I became interested in this zoom because I also own a Tokina 100-300mm f/4 SD zoom, which I've tested at some length and found to be an exceptionally sharp and contrasty optic. In fact, it is one of the sharpest lenses I own at 300mm. Plus, because of the SD glass, it is very well corrected. So naturally, I was hoping the 100-500/5.6 would be able to achieve similar performance levels.

That is exactly my thoughts when I first obtained my own AT-X 150-500/5.6 -- I was hoping it would be a "super AT-X 100-300/4" of sorts. [Of the four AT-X MF one-touch telephotos of that era that I know about and have owned, I still own (and still cherish) the 100-300/4 and the 60-120/2.8 -- I didn't find the 150-500/5.6 or the 80-200/2.8 to have been sprinkled with any of the "pixie dust" that the 100-300/4 and the 60-120/2.8 came with.]

[...] But I was making my evaluation by comparing photos from each at 100% magnification. In other words, I was pixel peeping with Photoshop. But if I were to view each lens's performance using 8x10 photos with minimal cropping (from 2:3 to 4:5), I doubt seriously I would be able to tell the difference.

I can believe that, although my time with the AT-X 150-500/5.6 occurred "way back in Ye Olde Film Days of Yore", and it did disappoint me back then, even in that pre-DSLR pixel-peeping era.

One thing to keep in mind with this lens, which is also true with many other telephotos, is to make sure the optical flat is located in the rear filter slot. If it isn't there, the lens's resolution will suffer.

Good point. [And my own experience with the lens ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tokina-150-500mm-f-5-6-x.html?#review5075 ) was based upon a lens equipped with that flat.]

[...] In contrast, the Tokina is noticeably lighter and, with its push-pull, one-ring design, is much easier to use just holding it. So, because of these "features" it is also easier to hand-hold it, providing that a high enough shutter speed can be used -- at least 1/500 second. This translates to 1/500 @ f/8 @ ISO 100 using the sunny f/16 rule, so hand-holding on a sunny day is very doable.

I will agree that the lens is (perhaps marginally) hand-holdable at 400mm or 500mm in bright light, and, if I had one right now, even more so at the long end, thanks to in-body shake reduction (in my case, with my current Pentax K-3 DSLR's, and despite the 1.5X narrowing of the FOV due to the APS-C "crop factor").

Well, that's my own "stale thread" info for today.

-- hide signature --

Fred
If you saw a fellow drowning, and you could either save him
or photograph the event . . . . . . . What lens would you use ?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow