Tricolor herons - In Flight and In the Wetlands

Started Feb 8, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 32,985
Tricolor herons - In Flight and In the Wetlands

The big cousins, great blue herons, seem to get much more attention than this colorful smaller heron - so I thought it would be nice to give the tricolor a post of his own.  It's a common year-round heron in Florida, throughout the wetlands and sometimes even in backyards and golf courses, and for me, always nice to photograph.

The following shots were all taken around South Florida wetlands areas over the past 4 months or so, with a Sony A6300 and mostly with an FE70-300mm lens (one with the Tamron 150-600mm lens, noted in the description)...and all are posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

A closeup of a tricolor heron, showing that yellow bill and red eye, as well as the white neck, blue feathers, and reddish ridge down the back of the neck (Tamron)

Rain can be a regular part of Florida wetlands shooting - but it doesn't mean you have to stop shooting - I saw this tricolor flying by during a steady rain and thought it was still pretty enough to shoot, even with the rain streaking by (FE)

Shooting at dusk can be a little more challenging for the lack of light, but it's also a time when many birds come back to the wetlands to roost for the night.  This tricolor was banking around to land on a nearby tree island and showing his wing spread...ISO6400 needed to keep the shutter speed up (FE)

This tricolor popped up on the handrail in front of me, later one afternoon, and didn't feel like moving, even as I passed just a few feet by him (FE)

A little water ballet from this tricolor, dancing across the surface.  Tricolors are more frantic fishers - constantly jumping around and squawking after fish, unlike some other herons that sit patiently hovering their bill over the water waiting (FE)

The same bird, mid-leap as he jumps/flies after a fish he spotted in the water (FE)

A tricolor on final approach, with the last orange-glow rays of sunset reflecting in the water behind and the bird mostly in shadow, as dusk approaches (FE)

Another late-day tricolor, flying very close by my position approaching sunset...the light was way too bright to control that white belly and underwing on short notice! (FE)

A young tricolor coming in hot and fast (FE)

Another tricolor flying by in fading light as dusk arrives - the very last bit of sunlight still trying to touch the tops of the trees (FE)

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +24 more
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow