D500 WiFi - how to connect every time without fail !!

Started 4 months ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Keefy Regular Member • Posts: 129
D500 WiFi - how to connect every time without fail !!

I believe I understand why so many people have problems with D500, it's because Snapbridge is unable to wake the camera from its Bluetooth low power state - and I have a workaround.

Once you have Successfully paired camera and Smart device you will see will see the Bluetooth icon in the centre of the Snapbridge screen.  After a while this will disappear indicating Bluetooth is in low power mode and the camera LCD info screen will show NO Bluetooth icon. You can manually take photos with the camera and the Bluetooth connection will be remade to download the pictures and then revert to low power mode. Once in the low power mode Snapbridge is unable to wake the camera to turn on WiFi and thus you cannot get the WiFi to connect when you go to Remote Photography - I have proved this with four different Android devices.

Every time you press a button on the camera it wakes Bluetooth from its low power mode, but this can be very short lived and it takes at least ten seconds for Bluetooth to wake and reconnect to Snapbridge.  So if your timers in camera menu C are set to very short delays, there is insufficient time for Bluetooth to connect before it goes back into low power mode.   If you can keep Bluetooth icon showing in Snapbridge for long enough, initiating WiFi will work every time.  Through extended communication with Nikon Support, I suspect that Nikon are well aware of this, but are unwilling to post a bulletin which would force an admission of the system failings,

So, the workaround is:

Go to Menu C4 Monitor off delay, select Menus and change the timeout to 1 minute (you can reduce this later).  Now whenever you want to connect WiFi press the menu button on the D500 and watch the Snapbridge screen - after a little over ten seconds you will see the Bluetooth icon and you should now be able to go to Remote Photography and connect WiFi successfully.

Please enter in the Poll whether this was successful for you and whether you use Android or IOS, as I would like to present the results to Nikon.

Keefy's gear list:Keefy's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
POLL
Successful - Android user
30% 6  votes
Unsuccessful - Android user
15% 3  votes
Successful - IOS user
20% 4  votes
Unsuccessful - IOS user
35% 7  votes
  Show results
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
R S
R S
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow