FZ2000/2500: Are the dpreview lens tests correct?

Started Jan 18, 2017 | Discussions thread
XVOYAGERX Senior Member • Posts: 1,269
Re: FZ2000/2500: Are the dpreview lens tests correct?

PC Wheeler wrote:

Brad Bohland wrote:

Jeff Keller wrote:

marshwader wrote:

I did. I don't know what went wrong with their shots. That's why I ran my own tests. Their samples are awfully soft in the corners. Mine are totally acceptable. Their samples have apalling fringing in the corners. Mine don't ??? I have seen worse softness at the wide end of my Canon 24-105L IS zoom wide open. Any explanations?

-
Machines were mice and men were lions once upon a time. But now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.

Copy variation. Our first FZ2500 had a truly awful lens (soft everywhere) so we asked for a second copy. That one (shown in the test shots) was better in the center but not great elsewhere. We can keep asking for more copies but that just delays reviews. It sounds like you were lucky to get a perfect copy!

-- hide signature --

Jeff Keller
Senior Writer, DPReview.com

Thanks for this.

Is this information in the review itself (it should be)?

On this page https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz2500-fz2000/7 they say "We tested two FZ2500's, with the second one being significantly better than the first, so if yours seems worse than what you see below, it's worth exchanging it."

And in the Conclusions https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz2500-fz2000/8 we find "Evaluating the FZ2500's image quality was a bit challenging due to the quality of its lens. Our first FZ2500's lens was so soft that we asked for a second copy. That camera was substantially sharper in the center, though it still gets soft in the corners, and is just not competitive with the Sony RX10 III (though you do pay a premium for that lens)."

I noticed this on my first read, so I'd say the info is in the review

-- hide signature --

Phil

I would say the info is in the "majority" of reviews!!;-)

XVOYAGERX's gear list:XVOYAGERX's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic FZ2500 Nikon D5500
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow