USB 3 ports on Dell P2715Q. Connect laptop to hard drive?

Started Jan 23, 2017 | Discussions thread
bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,744
Re: USB 3 ports on Dell P2715Q. Connect laptop to hard drive?

If you have not done so you really want to audition that notebook with a 4k panel before worrying about USB connections. You have to run a demanding application like Photoshop with  large raw files in a big color box and bit depth. Run some video. Open a lot of tabs in a browser with a lot of info in them--tax the CPU/GPU at the same time as they are one and the same.

Sadly in my experience the GPU is just not up to the task of rendering all those 4k pixels without stuttering, tearing and slow screen redraws. On the other hand it will easily drive a 2400 resolution monitor at full gamut (how I use mine) comfortably.

However what I find intolerable may not bother you so much.

But what if it does after you bought the thing?

If you are comfortable with image quality then if the monitor has a USB connector you simply have to connect that to the laptop. I have a Dell 4k with USB pass through that works for me in both OSX and Win10. I believe all the similarly priced near sRGB 27 inch 4k monitors have the same basic innards regardless of the label on the unit.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow