USB 3 ports on Dell P2715Q. Connect laptop to hard drive?

Started Jan 23, 2017 | Discussions thread
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 18,520
Re: USB 3 ports on Dell P2715Q. Connect laptop to hard drive?

MtnBikerCalif wrote:

Can these be used to connect to a drive?

I've got a late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina and am looking at the Dell and LG UD68-P. They seem pretty close from reading several reviews. LG better color gamut. Dell better stand. Bezel doesn't matter to me. Not a gamer.

But the Dell has USB 3 vs 2 on the LG and if I could leave a hard drive hooked up to the monitor and have it connect to my MBP that would be handy. It would be a drive with my photo libraries and maybe another for backups.

Edit: "Charge or power BC1.2-compatible and other USB devices with a high-speed USB 3.0 charging port." from B&H. Sounds like HD isn't going to work.

On the Dell site, the "Connectivity" section of the "Tech Specs" tab says: "4 x USB 3.0 downstream, 1 x USB upstream".  The "Overview" tab says "Charge or power BC1.2-compatible and other USB devices with a high-speed USB 3.0 charging port".

If I had to guess, I'd say that the display had a four-port USB 3.0 hub, but that only one of the ports is set up to provide a lot of power to a connected device.  When you were using both the screen and the hub, you would connect the display to your laptop by two cables ((Mini)DisplayPort, USB).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow