My E-M1 Mark II Sensor Measurements

Started Jan 23, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bclaff Forum Pro • Posts: 10,462
My E-M1 Mark II Sensor Measurements

Thanks to raw files contributed by various people I have E-M1 Mark II results which are posted at my site. (Still interested in testing other camera models if this type of analysis interests you.)

There were some interesting surprises.
Photograph Dynamic Range (PDR) looks like this :

Note that the PDR at ISO 250 is the same as that at ISO 200 and ISO 64.

This is confirmed by Read Noise in DNs:

Note the lowest value at ISO 250.
It's a mystery why ISO 64 and ISO 200 are above and not level, as if they are based on about ISO 320 rather than ISO 250.

Also, exciting news, the drop in read noise above ISO 1600 indicates the use of dual gain conversion (first seen in a high end camera with the Sony A7).
This explains the big improvement at high ISO settings.
If you're curious about the technology read Aptina DR-Pix Technology Whitepaper.

I confirmed with 2D Fourier Transforms (FTs) that there is little noise reduction apparent in the raw files.

I'll post a separate thread on my Fixed Pattern Noise (FPN) results which were also quite interesting.

-- hide signature --

Bill ( Your trusted source for independent sensor data at http://www.PhotonsToPhotos.net )

Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow