Travor SL-282S Flash Review

Started Jan 20, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
circa2000 Forum Member • Posts: 88
Travor SL-282S Flash Review

I've just received this flash from China, sold in many places, including Amazon, eBay, etc. The price is right - in range of $35 to $40, much cheaper than a similar Sony HVL-F20M. It's very small and convenient in switching on and off by just folding it forward. It's said to be fully TTL and HSS capable.  Very solidly built, except the usual Sony plastic hotshoe.

There is only one real weakness in this flash - it does not work with my A7RII or RX10ii. That is, it's recognized by the camera, the charging status appears correctly on the LCD, everything looks correct and perfect. It flashes nicely and strongly. The only problem is that it flashes at the wrong time - just a tiny bit before the shutter opens.

I tried the following with no success:

- Auto and PASM modes, exposures from 1/1000 to 1s

- Enable and disable electronic front curtain shutter

- Play with flash sync mode: from full Auto to all other possibilities that are not grayed out in the menu

- Remove and re-insert batteries in the flash and the camera

- Direct and bonce modes, although I think it's purely mechanical switch

Now, I'm out of ideas thinking what else can I try before disassembling the flash and look for a solution in its internal guts. Anybody can help me with ideas?

Before anybody asks, both of my Sony cameras work trouble-free with my other flashes from a different manufacturer.

circa2000's gear list:circa2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow