New wildlife camera - OMD EM1M2, D500, other?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,573
Re: New wildlife camera - OMD EM1M2, D500, other?

I shoot with the D500 and assorted lenses up to the 600mm f/4. My wife shoots with the E-M1 Mark II and the E-M5 Mark II cameras and the Olympus Pro lenses (12-40 f/2.8, 40-150mm f/2.8, 12mm f/2, 300mm f/4). Her images are the equal of mine and sometimes better as the autofocus is more accurate with mirrorless cameras.

Her 300mm f/4 provides the field of view of my 600mm f/4 lens but cost a quarter as much and weighs a third as much. With the in-camera optical stabilization combined with the lens stabilization of the 300mm f/4 lens she can take a shot at 1/8s hand held and the image is perfectly sharp. I cannot do that with my Nikon D500 and any of my VR lenses (70-200, 80-400, 500mm f/4, 600mm f/4).

On a trip this month to Costa Rica we had equivalent kits and mine fit in a 32 liter bag and weighed over 36 lbs., while hers fit in a 18 liter backpack and weighed in at 19 lbs.  Which would you rather carry?

I read so many posts where people agonize over what to take on a trip and with MFT cameras and lenses there would be no issue as they could take it all.

-- hide signature --

“A person who thinks about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not a Christian” Pope Francis

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow