Importing new set of photos. Lightroom says some are duplicates. They are not.

Started Jan 17, 2017 | Discussions thread
dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 1,263
Re: Importing new set of photos. Lightroom says some are duplicates. They are not.

Old Pirate wrote:

Are you resetting your file names each time or occasionally? In other words, starting a sequence of numbers over again?

I'm pretty sure Lightroom identifies by number and if you are resetting the numbers in your camera then down the road a new photograph is going to be assigned a file number that you've used before and the system will see it as a duplicate. I've had problems with that using two cameras by the same manufacturer using default nomenclature.

This is not correct. Lightroom tries to identify duplicates by comparing the original file name, file size and capture time. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/photo-video-import-options.html

So, if your camera takes photo DSC_0001.jpg and a few years later, you have taken 10,000 images and you are back to DSC_0001.jpg, it would not be treated as a duplicate. Your two-camera example should not produce duplicates according to the above definition, and it does not produce duplicates for most users.

However, some people have reported bugs in this function. It happened to me in fact, but then it went away by itself shortly thereafter, I don't know why. I believe the OP has encountered this bug.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow