We got the message 8 years ago. Moderators: intervene!

Started Jan 14, 2017 | Polls thread
453C Veteran Member • Posts: 7,087
Re: The Padlock, with explanation.

Jorginho wrote:

Maybe, but heavy moderation isn't easy to do, and the resulting climate of the forum can be negatively impacted. As has been mentioned, better self-moderation is the key, which brings me to my next response.

I follow another M43 forum. There things get locked very quickly when certain concepts and arguments start creep in and things risk getting nasty. The other day at the fist mention of a certain word after 5 replies in a camera comparison thread; Zack! Locked!

I'd much prefer locked threads with a very brief explanation from the mod. If possible, the mods could have an interface with short menu of applicable reasons for the lock ' "No personal attacks" "Asked & answered" "Violation of Rule X" etc. A lock without explanation isn't the worse thing, but I see it as a missed opportunity.

me too. That would be nice.

I dislike deletions because they offer nothing constructive to the general membership about the standard the mods are attempting to engender, so the abusers (unknowingly?) continue the abuse, and no one's the wiser as to what happened. Better to let everyone see what happened and why, IMO.

Well I feel some arguments over here are not missed. But what happens sometimes is parts of an argument are deleted. But it costs moderators time so I don't expect that.

Cutting things off where they are repeated time and time and time again for no obvious reason would be no problem for me.

The addition of a FAQ stickied to the tippy-top of Page One would curtail at least some of those bothersome reruns. It'd also be a handy reference for the volunteer patrol, as they could simply direct the new inquisitor to the FAQ instead of digging up a relevant thread, or whinging about the use of Search.

... or starting threads to complain about rerun threads.  ; )

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tko
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow