We got the message 8 years ago. Moderators: intervene!

Started Jan 14, 2017 | Polls thread
453C Veteran Member • Posts: 7,087
Re: HA!

Aberaeron wrote:

453C wrote:

pjw3 wrote:

453C wrote:

Fat viewers occasionally respond to a sub-thread without realizing how it appears to threaded viewers. That results in several needless, confused posts about who was responding to whom, and the like.

Ahem!

Sorry about that! Pretty funny typo, though. : )

I'm missing the value of flat view. I've yet to see it work well for me on any forum, especially an active one. If it serves a purpose, I'd like to know what it offers that threaded view doesn't do better.

I use flat view, primarily because it's what I am used to over many years using forums that didn't support threading. It's easy and everything is a time-sequential order. I just look at the header of each post to see who it's in response to, and people often quote the post they are reading anyway.

I get lost with threaded view. But maybe I will try it again.

I've used Flat on many forums, but always choose Threaded when possible. DPR makes it easy to use keyboard shortcuts to navigate them, too. Maybe I'm just not sharp enough to always check time stamps and follow the quote rainbows.

The advantage with flat view is that it only needs one click to load all the posts.

Makes sense, if one sees that as an advantage. I don't, but I get it.

The advantage of threaded view is that you can follow and put individual conversations in context and not read whole sub-threads/conversations/arguments if they are of no interest.

Sure. I usually avoid at least a few sub-threads, especially if I come late to the discussion. Wading through flat view is tedious in those situations, IMO.

I use threaded view wherever possible. I like to have an overview of who is responding to what and who. The only thing I have against it on DPR is that after a certain number of responses to a thread, it stops stacking them properly.

I've noticed. I suspect that's due to the available real estate devoted to posts, with the screen sides reserved for many other things. I can live with it, and the border boxes are occasionally interesting.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
tko
NCV
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow