Tilting screens and fast AF - ideal for kids and turtles

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GTOz Regular Member • Posts: 148
Tilting screens and fast AF - ideal for kids and turtles

Sorry guys, but this is another tilting screen thread. I have watched without contributing when some recent threads ended in heated arguments between those who believe strongly for either tilting or fully articulated screens. However when editing (wading through) recent family photos at Heron Island (Queensland, Oz) I came across this....

Yours truly, GX85 with Pan 35-100 f/2.8 (Taken by my better half with the GM1)

It is the typical pose I use when taking pictures of the kids, as the camera angle is low and can be used quickly with a wide variety of lenses. Prior to having MFT I would be on the ground with the 6D, or simply not getting the shot. The availability of a tilting screen on a smallish camera, and with lightning fast "Live View" AF made my GX7 so much more practical. With a fully articulated screen it would take longer to swing out, and I think I would find it harder to support a longer lens with my left hand as my wrist would conflict with the screen.

My recent photography style has evolved with tilting screens, so maybe this is a reason that at least 50% of my pictures are taken this way. If I had a fully articulated screen, maybe I would be using the viewfinder more, and then complaining at the quality of the GX85 / GX7 EVF!

Edit / Add: Some low critters taken with this stance:

-- hide signature --

GT
www.flickr.com/photos/55731064@N03/

GTOz's gear list:GTOz's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow