Im at a X roads. Current EQ vs the Future. Need some input.

Started Jan 7, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
javiair Regular Member • Posts: 483
Im at a X roads. Current EQ vs the Future. Need some input.

Happy New Year to you all. This is more of a rant or just trying to sort out confusion. I am asking for your input and advice.

A few months ago, I posted a thread about the future of the Big bodied DSLR and traveling.  Just to recap- I went to London and Paris and during my time, Id say 90% of people taking pictures were doing it cell phones, I with my D610. I saw very few big bodied DSLRs. Got me thinking about the future of photography. Or at least the future of my photography.

Also I am at a crossroads when it comes to what I like to shoot vs cost vs future of the DSLR and how much will I spend or willing to spend to get what I want. I like to shoot Airshows, motocross, football games, Pro and HS, Soccer and indoor volleyball, vacations and trying to get into portraits and landscapes.

I am doing okay with my D610, but I want just a bit more FPS. There is currently no FF camera Nikon has that goes up to 10fps that is less than $6k. Too rich for me. At 10fps, the $2k D500 as a second body has my eye, but its still a crop sensor. Nothing wrong with it, but its personal preference, and I dont want go to that route. The D750 is a great camera but since it was released in 2014, at this point there is no point in buying one. Two bodies will be okay, but a $2k D500 and a $2k second future FF body is now getting up to $4k in bodies.

So now, I feel like Im in a Funk, a Lull, a Cross Roads, have my photography purchases on pause. I want to buy an monolight this year, but I dont want to spend any more money until I get out of this rut.  Here is my thought.

Nikon has the 1 system but that is not at all appealing, Canon has their M system, but that is hardly enough to switch since I think Canon and Nikon are kind of in the same boat.

Sony really has my eye, but Im afraid I wont be in a better position. The A7 system is very good, but at 5 FPS I know I will be wanting more. I really really like the Sony A99 II. That satisfies what I want to do and at $3k its cheaper than 2 bodies. Combine that with their A7 and you have a great system but at a price. $3k for the A99 and another $3k for the A7...then add new lenses... too rich for me. So back to my Rut

But the thought of changing systems just takes the wind out of my sails. So Im hoping Nikon has something on the horizon. But what has been announced on CES is not really giving me much. So what do I do?

Thank you and wish everyone a great 2017

Javier

javiair's gear list:javiair's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Sony a7 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow