Orion Nebula - reprocessed

Started Jan 7, 2017 | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RudyPohl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,398
Orion Nebula - reprocessed

Orion Nebula M42 - Nikon D7200, Nikon 300/F4, 19 x 30 secs, F4, ISO 1600 no dark, bias or flat frames, tracking on Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer

In the absence of having any other subs to play with right now due to bad weather, I am working on my processing skills by reusing this image over and over. Please ignore if you're tired of seeing it.

Workflow:

I converted the NEF files to DNG files and opened them in Adobe Camera Raw and did the following....

• 1 reduced Exposure by 2 stops to recover blown highlights and faint star colour, set highligts to -70 to recover highlights and faint star colours, checked Lens Corrections and vignetting.
  • Cropped image in Adobe Camera Raw and applied the crop and above adjustments to all images.
  • Saved 19 images as 16-bit TIFFs
  • Stacked in DSS with settings as recommend on www.clarkvision.com and saved file as 16-bit TIFF
  • Processed in Photoshop using Levels, Curves, Layer Masks, Saturation and other goodies, plus Unsharp Mask, noise reduction done with Topaz Denoise plugin.

I did a tight crop to eliminate as many stars with coma as possible plus airbrushed out some other offensive coma (I know that cheating, but this is the only lens I have).

Cheers,
Rudy

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow