If you want only one lens for the OMDs this is it

Started Jan 3, 2017 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dpreviewmember
Dpreviewmember Regular Member • Posts: 141
If you want only one lens for the OMDs this is it

Great traveling companion for the 14-150mm II and the 9mm f8 cap.

Using it on the OM-D E-M10, such a small quality camera set to carry around.

34mm equivalent focal length is perfect for most situations, no distortions on portraits and still fits enough background.

Fast f1.8 allows selective focus and blur that 14-42mm EZ and 14-150mm can't match.

Auto focus is really fast and accurate in good light, also much better than the 14-42mm EZ and 14-150mm II in low light.

Focus clutch is practical, specially in low light situations.  Only thing is that I couldn't make it work  with the focus assist on the touch screen. I don't know why it doesn't work since it works when not pulled back in manual mode.  But the clutch with markings is certainly needed for night photography to focus at infinity, just put the mark a little bit before reaching the infinity symbol works fine for me.

Sharpness is a bit better than the zooms but not as much as I expected for a prime. Comparing photos taken on the same conditions and settings, for example at f4, 17mm same speed and ISO manual settings  14-42mm vs 17mm render quite similar IQ.  But the faster 17mm lens really shines when it is darker or at interiors.

Build is exceptional, all metal, small and light but solid. Filter thread is 46mm, using a step-up ring 46 to 55mm and 55mm filters/cap makes the front have the same diameter as the body of the lens.

It's a pleasure to take this little lens everywhere, it's permanently on my camera/bag now and only change it  for the 14-150mm II, or 14-42mm EZ (depending on how light I want to pack) when shooting in really good light.  Raynox Macro converter 150 and 9mm f8 cap are always on my small bag side pockets.  A perfect travel set.

Dpreviewmember's gear list:Dpreviewmember's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +1 more
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
Wideangle prime lens • Micro Four Thirds • V311050BU000
Announced: Jun 15, 2012
Dpreviewmember's score
Average community score
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow