Tell me this isn't the future of photography (Huawei P9)

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sam Bennett
Sam Bennett Veteran Member • Posts: 4,393
Tell me this isn't the future of photography (Huawei P9)

I'm fortunate enough to create mobile apps for a living, which means I get to try the latest gear as we see trends moving in the industry. As a photographer obviously I'm always trying out the various manufacturers cameras. This year has been really interesting since dual cameras have become more prevelant and the software and hardware has gotten to the point where shallow DoF emulation has gotten really, really good. The iPhone 7 Plus gets a lot of attention and indeed I've really enjoyed using it, but the phone that has really blown me away this year is actually the Huawei P9. Here's the same shot at "f/16", and then "f/4" with two different focal points.

Is the effect perfect? No. But it's pretty impressive for a $500 phone. And the experience that Leica and Huawei has provided is surprisingly good. Low light doesn't seem to be a problem with it (unlike the iPhone's Depth Effect which is pretty useless indoors), and being able to adjust after the fact is great (again an area where the iPhone fails). I've always been a skeptic of software DoF emulation really being able to change whether I continue to use my MFT gear and while for professional work obviously I'm going to continue to use it, for day to day shooting the P9 is a game changer, and it's only going to get better from there.

-- hide signature --
 Sam Bennett's gear list:Sam Bennett's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow