Cameras with manual dials, which cameras?

Started Dec 31, 2016 | Questions thread
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,107
Re: Cameras with manual dials, which cameras?

I have had no problems with the aperture rings on any of my Fujis. My X100T is neither light nor loose, with reasonable detents (although the ones between the full stops  take some getting used to.) The 35mm f/1.4 is quite light,  which is nice if you like to change apertures with the  finger roll technique, but I wouldn't call it loose; it detents are fine. I just got the 60mm and its ring is noticeably tighter with excellent detents, probably close to perfect in my book. Some people say it is too tight ...

So mine are inconsistent,  but all fun to work with. I can't speak to the zooms, though.  The thing about aperture rings, and manual controls in general, as you said above, is that they can always be moved accidentally. (This was just as true of my all manual film gear-- my Pentaxes were never so tight they could not get banged around.) I think you have to be prepared to police your camera and check it regularly as part of your routine, or you may be better off with with a menu driven system.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow