Coolpix P310 - Worth Upgrading to APS-C Compact?

Started Dec 30, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ubertrout Junior Member • Posts: 33
Coolpix P310 - Worth Upgrading to APS-C Compact?

I've been using a Coolpix P310 for the past five years or so as my backup/compact option, either in tandem with my DSLR or in place of it. It hasn't really been getting much use lately, especially since my Galaxy S7 Edge takes excellent shots in its own right, admittedly without the zoom range - but the vast majority of what I shoot casually is unzoomed.

I've been considering upgrading to a APS-C compact as my secondary  option...I understand that the f/2.8 lenses will technically be a bit slower than the 1.8 on the P310 wide open, but I assume the larger sensor will lead to subtantial quality gains otherwise.  Or is that misguided and should I just stick with the P310 as my secondary?  I've tagged the options I'm considering, some of which may only be available used.

ubertrout's gear list:ubertrout's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 85mm F1.8G +3 more
Fujifilm X70 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Coolpix P310 Ricoh GR II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow