GX80 questions and queries before I buy...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
stewart hull Regular Member • Posts: 277
GX80 questions and queries before I buy...

It's been a while since I came on here regularly, but over the last couple of weeks I've been trying to decide on a suitable micro 4/3 body and lens combo to take the place of my current travel setup, a Canon 550d and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. I travel a lot and prefer to spend my money on flights and things when I'm away, than on the latest gear. But....

Due to the current £200 (I'm in the UK) cashback, the GX80 sounds like a no-brainer for £239 body only or £329 with the 12-32 kit lens. I'd originally read some good things about the Olympus 14_40 kit lens when I was looking at the EM-10 II. It's got an almost identical effective focal range to my walkaround lens, but I'm assuming that the Pany kit lens will work better with the Dual IS coming into play? I've struggled to find out just exactly which of their lenses will and won't work with it on the GX80. I dont know if I can handle the drop of, effectively 20mm, when compared to the Olympus's 40mm as I know I tend to shoot quite a lot at around 50mm with my set up (effectively, 80mm).

The next thing is the most obvious - having to step away from the option of f/2.8 across the focal range. I know there are zooms with similar focal ranges with f/2.8 but they're going to be quite a hit in the pocket! I'm not used to having to switch lenses and I REALLY appreciated that. I know that primes offer better IQ but I'm not pixel peeping, my images are pretty much just for me and I'd often rather get the shot than mess around switching between lenses. Plus, if I went for one of the standard zooms with a 2.8 aperture, it's going to lose the size benefit of dropping down to a CSC camera.

So, it's the usual scenario of having to make a compromise or 2! I can stick with what I've got and just try to make the best of it, or buy the GX80 (and eventually sell my Canon gear, including flashgun, nifty fifty and a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 that's way too heavy to carry with me when I'm on the road) and one of the two kit lenses and either buy 2.8 zoom or a couple of primes and get used to switching!

Any recommendations for buying used glass? I've picked up all my current stuff used, for big savings and I'd like to try and do that and get better gear than just the budget route.

I mainly shoot street photography and scenic shots when I'm away and having a small, compact setup would mean it's much less conspicuous and so I'd get more use out of it than my current Canon 550d and Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC (with a Canon 55-250 IS in the bottom of my bag for times when I can't zoom with my feet - walking on water, etc). I've also got the chance to go trekking in Nepal to see some friends who are working at Everest Base Camp, so small and light would be great!

Sorry if the questions seem a little noob-esque, but I'm very new to the CSC set up and I know this is the place to come for advice - it's recommendations from people on this forum that helped me decide on what I'm currently using

stewart hull's gear list:stewart hull's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow