What do you do with your old Cameras?

Started Dec 28, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
doni Contributing Member • Posts: 829
What do you do with your old Cameras?

There were a couple of posts here the past few weeks about the D1/D1h/D1x cameras that made me realize that I had my old gear collecting dust!

I was inspired by these posts to take out my first ever DSLR and see what it is still capable of. I had to buy a new battery and a new CF card (1GB, formatted FAT16) for it to work again, but it was worth it. The feeling of the D1h in my hand was a like a flashback to the good old days of small file sizes. After all these years, it still fit like a glove.

I took it for a spin to see if I can get some "good" jpegs. Why jpegs? I honestly do not know. I thought it would be cool to see what I can get SOOC compared to a full frame RAW file.

Turns out, the D1h can still hold it's own today. If I had to shoot a portrait tomorrow with all my other cameras being out of commission, I would not hesitate to take out the D1h.

This begs some interesting questions:

Do you keep your old cameras? If so, what is your oldest DSLR right now?

It also begs an interesting challenge: If you have some old gear, try shooting with it and post some of your best "Old school camera shot in present time" pictures.

Here are some D1H pictures and some D800 shots as comparison. Not really a scientific comparison (jpeg on the D1h vs NEF on D800, and Different lenses - 28-70 2.8 on the D1h and 80-200 2.8 on the D800). It was more of a "fun" type shoot and test.

D800 + 80-200 f/2.8

D800 + 80-200 f/2.8

D800 + 80-200 f/2.8

D800 + 80-200 f/2.8

D1h + 28-70 f/2.8

D1h + 28-70 f/2.8

D1h + 28-70 f/2.8

-- hide signature --

...in matters of grave importance, style not sincerity is the vital thing - Oscar Wilde

doni's gear list:doni's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +11 more
Nikon D1H Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow