Fuji 23/2.0 & X-Pro2: a little testing

Started Dec 28, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 9,597
Fuji 23/2.0 & X-Pro2: a little testing

I often peruse the internet for information on ... many things technical, shall we say. I found a few testing sites dealing with the 23/2.0 WR including qimago.de (I think the guy's name is Mehrad??) where he had not much good to say about the lens.

There were others, I didn't do any book-keeping so my impression is anecdotal regarding this lens.

I had the 23/1.4 but sold it and was going to re-buy one, but thought that maybe I should take another look at the 23/2. One particula blog caught my attention where somebody mentioned that this 9-blade lens had a certain "cinematic" look, like not warm I thought. Teal and orange, like it is used often in colour grading when a thriller needs to pickup some pace regarding the colours.

So in the end, I bought it and took this lens to a little model shoot at the Junk & Disorderly warehouse for all things second hand and more. I can't show any of the model images for privacy reasons, but spent a little more time afterwards in the warehouse to test the 23/2.0. For the model shoot I used mainly the 56 and the 35 but also the 23 ... maybe for another day??

I must say that I like the clarity of the lens and guess as it sometimes happens when you are trying to taste lavender in a glass of Beaujolais, you will find traces of it. Like I found the "cinematic" look, possibly just a lot of balloney and I was merely having a bad day, but the lens certainly has a certain look.

In short, I like this lens and don't miss the 23/1.4 as much as I thought I would. Not every lens has to be 1.4 or faster ...

Cranked up the sharpness in Capture One Pro 10 more than I would normally do. Also part of my testing for my own sake here.

Fuji 35/1.4 for reference

I can easily see myself using this lens on my next trip, close up and otherwise.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Fujifilm X-Pro2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow