STM glass verus L glass

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
diness Senior Member • Posts: 2,176
Re: STM glass verus L glass

perry rhodan wrote:

diness wrote:

bludragon wrote:

Shifter wrote:

Is Canon shooting themselves in the foot? Are the STM lenses good?

I think there is a misconception that STM is better for video than USM. I don't believe that is the case... it is just that STM has more marketing around its suitability for video. This is true in comparison to the earlier non-USM focus motors. STM is a huge upgrade to those for both video and stills. USM is still the better technology overall though, hence its continued use in higher end lenses.

This is not a misconception, stm is better for video than usm. It is smoother, quieter with less hunting. There are examples of it all over YouTube. That said, usm is faster for stills and is better for moving larger elements in lenses with larger maximum apertures I believe.

And so Canon made nano usm. With the Blazing speed of usm and the subtle focus achievement of stm. No hunting whatsoever. And crazy fast. Pricewise a middle position. There are now 2 of them. I expect that Canon will produce many more the coming years.

I simply cannot understand that almost no site really appreciates this at the moment. My 18-135 and 70-300 are Marvellous!

-- hide signature --

Here for the forums.

Yes!  Very true!   So far, from what I've seen, nano usm can only be done with light elements as well, not big f2.8 zooms, but hopefully it's just a matter of time

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow