BenQ sw2700pt uniformity

Started Dec 27, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
conordpr Junior Member • Posts: 25
BenQ sw2700pt uniformity

I just received my sw2700pt and am agonising over whether it's worth returning with the lottery of color uniformity on sub $2000 monitors.

I don't currently have a calibrater so I know that the definitive answer is 'we can't tell' and it's subjective but I would appreciate any input from others with a sw2700pt.

Up until receiving this, my monitor was the screen of a rMBP from 2014, uncalibrated. It has wonderful, even whites. Perhaps a fragment too cool but the whites of a web page or folder window look uniformly white throughout, in any corner. Prior to this I had a 2006 mbp and it had a noticeable warm tint to it but no corners dramatically changed the tint. I knew I would have to invest in a calibrater soon enough for the sw2700pt but most reviews say that their initial calibration didn't change the settings all that much from how it came from the factory, so this satisfied me that I'd have a decent starting point before splurging on an i1 Display Pro.

I plugged in the sw2700pt and liked how it looked, noticing it a little warm and yellow but perhaps this is relative from staring at the uncalibrated rMBP screen and then looking over. I used it for a day without noticing much issue then decided to switch the background to something more festive - when it struck me how differently the whites of snow are represented around the screen. The whole left side of the screen has a subtle warm/pink tint to it. It extends almost to the centre. I don't notice it unless I set the screen to a a picture dominated by a neutral color or place a solid color on the screen, where I definitely notice it.

The crux of this is that a snowy picture I was using appeared to have a nice warmth at the bottom and a coolness at the top. I rotated this 180 and showed that it wasn't intended and it was the sw2700pt doing this.

I know that no led monitors have perfect uniformity. The calibration sheet that came from the factory said that the average devation was about 0.6 and the max (mostly in the whites) was 1.7. This seems in line with what's acceptable for a sub $2000 monitor. But I can't shake the idea that if I'm processing photos I'll want to rotate them 180 degrees each time to check colors are ok in all corners of the screen.

Do others with this monitor have a similar issue, that I got lucky with the uniformity of my eMBP screen and it's widely deemed acceptable? I just brought a browser window onto the screen and can notice the white take a bluer tone at the top and a yellower tone at the bottom, moving to a pinkish tone on the left.

All the review commenters and amazon reviews saying they love the monitor and are giving it 5 stars are making me think it's a minority that are having my issue and it won't be much of a gamble to return it for a replacement.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow