What is a good lens for shooting gymnastics?

Started Dec 26, 2016 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Meomaxy Junior Member • Posts: 42
What is a good lens for shooting gymnastics?

I'm looking to upgrade from my Nikon 1 V2. The most challenging shooting situation I regularly face is taking videos and pictures (emphasis on videos) at my daughters' gymnastics competitions. They are indoors with mediocre lighting, and to photograph a vault or tumbling at just the right moment needs fast shutter. I'm not happy with the faster lens options on the Nikon 1, so I'm considering switching to the Panasonic G7. I thought to pick that one because it's said to be great for video (which is still the main thing I share from meets), the available 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 lens ought to cover the range I need, and I hear good things about its ability to focus quickly and track. And camera and lens would fit into the approximate $1000 budget I'm aiming for.

What are some faster lens options for the G7 that I should consider? Maybe step down to the 14-42mm kit lens, and use the difference to invest in a fast 45mm prime? Am I correct that if my end product is an HD video, that the 4K video on the G7 gives me the option to shoot with a wider lens than I need, and still extract full HD-resolution video by cropping?

Thanks all!

Meomaxy's gear list:Meomaxy's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon 1 V2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow