Considering D500 and Fuji X-T2

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lardo New Member • Posts: 23
Considering D500 and Fuji X-T2

I'm getting back into photography after a long absence (crazy work, etc.) and would appreciate any inputs. I currently have an old D300 and a few lens (DX 35 f/1.8, DX 16-85 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, & TC-14 II).

Now that I have free time, I've gotten into traveling & hiking and I bought a Sony RX100 IV (35mm equiv 24-70mm) to minimize the size/weight for hiking. I like the little camera, but many times I've needed more reach and a better wildlife camera.

So I'm looking to upgrade the D300 and get a camera primarily for wildlife/landscape/travel to either complement or replace the Sony RX100 on some trips (for strenuous hikes I'll probably just use the RX100). From what I've read so far, I'm looking at the D500 and Fuji X-T2.

The D500 with the 24-120 f/4 lens (35mm equiv 36-180mm) looks like a good combo for general travel and hiking (about 2.8 lbs heavier than the Sony RX100, but lots more capability & reach). Nikon also has longer lenses than Fuji if I get more hardcore into wildlife & BIF. The D500 & 200-500mm look like a great combo without breaking the bank (but not for hiking).

I really really like the Fuji X-T2 mirrorless size & weight. The reviews I've read so far are impressive. Looks like Fuji also has pretty good lens selections out to 400mm (lacks the longer ranges & not as many options as Nikon). Sounds like the D500 has better AF throughout the sensor width, and is probably better for sports & wildlife.

I keep going back & forth between these two cameras as I compare the pros & cons of each. I'm leaning towards the D500 (would make it simpler as I already have some Nikon glass). I'll probably rent each to get some hands on experience, but I'd be interested to hear from folks who are familiar with both cameras and lens options, and their decision process.

Thanks in advance.

Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR Sony RX100 Sony RX100 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow