Bonehead Question about 430EX-RT vs ST-E3-RT Transmitter comparison

Started Dec 21, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jarvis393 Contributing Member • Posts: 546
Bonehead Question about 430EX-RT vs ST-E3-RT Transmitter comparison

I have acquired a couple of Canon 430 EX-RT speedlites and now I need a transmitter to control them.  The 430 EX-RT is capable of transmitting is capable of acting as either Master or Slave so I could get another one of those and use it as transmitter.

Canon also makes a dedicated Speedlite transmitter ST-E3-RT.  This is a dedicated transmitter and only acts as a transmitter.

I am curious if there is any inherent advantage of picking one over the other.  The ST-E3-RT has  a smaller footprint on the hotshot albeit has controls on the top of the device.  If the camera is mounted high on a tripod it might be harder to access the controls.

The built-in transmitter on the 430EX-RT has all the options on one screen without having to punch buttons to find the function you are looking for.  This screen is also visible & accessible no matter how high the tripod is.

Are there any other reasons to pick one approach over the other that are not obvious to a newbie like me?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow