Shooting wedding with primes only

Started Aug 7, 2011 | Discussions thread
Tequila MockingjayBird
Tequila MockingjayBird Senior Member • Posts: 4,212
Re: Shooting wedding with primes only

terence_boylen wrote:

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

They are just tools. Nothing more. In the right hands, primes can work just fine. In others, they might not. I've done hundreds of weddings using a standard zoom for 95% of the shots. Frankly, I know I'd suck with primes. At least initially. And then through experience, I'd learn to use those new tools, as well.

kormendi_adam wrote:

I wonder if any of you pros think it is possible to shoot weddings with primes only.
I ask this strictly from curiosity.

Yesterday I attended a friend's wedding and had my D300s with me, with 35 and 85 primes. I took 4 photos in total (so I really did not intend to 'play the pro' there).

I had the feeling that, if I had been the hired photographer, I really would have a hard time changing lenses and I think I would have missed a lot of shots.

Do you think it is possible to use primes only for weddings?
From what I have seen yesterday, I would say it does not make any sense...

I disagree. They are tools, but you can't use a screw driver to hammer a nail. Example - you want a close up of the ring going on the finger; you have an 85mm on (and 35mm for arguments sake). If you were in an orthodox church, the closest you could get would be the altar rail - no shot for you.

At that special moment tou have to make a choice - Take a close up of the finger action [:)] or a wide shot. In my opinion, Most such close up shots can easily be done after the fact.

A wide shot capturing the instant emotions of the couple and everybody around them is very difficult to do after the fact. I'd focus on the wide shot.

The main drawback with primes is the 'zoom with your feet' aspect which would disallow you from getting a lot of shots.

a prime quality like short zoom like the 24-70 zeiss might be the right tool.

-- hide signature --

you need a team to realize your dream

Tequila MockingjayBird's gear list:Tequila MockingjayBird's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
SBS
SBS
BAK
SBS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow