New E-M1 + 12-40 owner worried about ruggedness

Started Dec 14, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
smarter Contributing Member • Posts: 541
New E-M1 + 12-40 owner worried about ruggedness

Last week I bought a new E-M1 with the 12-40 PRO zoom lens. I'm an enthusiast Fuji X user and was looking for an extra rugged weather resistant camera and lens. My current Fuji gear is not WR, but there was nothing I wanted to sell now, so I was looking for an extra camera/ zoom lens combo on the side for using in bad weather conditions.

My favorite local camera store had the E-M1 / 12-40 combo on sale for € 1.398,- including a 5 year extended warranty. The camera/ lens combo feels great in the hand and seems very well built.

The things that are worrying me right now are several threads over here about strap lugs falling out, dials not working anymore, lens mounts separating on a PRO level lens and a few other mishaps.

I know that I have warranty to take care of those things, but it would really annoy me when those things happen when it's the only camera with me at the moment. I also don't think the warranty covers the damage on the camera and lens when it hits concrete after losing a strap lug...

Usually I take good care of my gear and am not a very hard user, I'm wondering if those things only happen to heavy users after 100.000+ clicks or if it's something to expect from this camera anyway.

smarter's gear list:smarter's gear list
Fujifilm XQ2 Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Olympus PEN-F +11 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow