The 40mm GRIII

Started Dec 12, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 34,174
The 40mm GRIII

As a concept this could be taken two ways.  We presume that a 40mm collapsing lens of acceptable speed can be fitted into the present GR body.

If it is made in parallel to the 28mm version I only wonder that users will pick and choose between the two versions and neither will sell well enough to be worth making.  Of course some GR owners will want to have one of each.  Ths assumes that Ricoh has some exciting new features to sell it.

On the other hand if the "GR idea" has run out of steam and there are no new fields to conquer beyond perhaps a new sensor then why not just make a 40mm version alone?

This would mean that all those GR users could keep and use their GR/GRII bodies for a further extended period of time in parallel to their new GRIII-40.  Nothing wrong with the current models and I am sure that they will last - probably as long as my +10 year old original GRD. The financial "hit" of buying two GR cameras will therefore be reduced.

Ricoh would have to take a chance on the "40" being popular but they could do sensor cropping into short telephoto to add to the versatility.  Taking away choice would probably mean more "40" sales than if there were a choice of two focal lengths.

They could alternate models with a GRIII-28 a year of so down the track.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow