Lightroom CC sluggish on a maxed out 2016 15 inch MacBook Pro

Started Nov 30, 2016 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,153
Re: Lightroom CC sluggish on a maxed out 2016 15 inch MacBook Pro

strawbale wrote:

Lightgreen wrote:

The dual cores only have 64MB eDRAM but that's better than none. So it's an upgrade vs the downgrade the 15" got by losing it.

The 64mb is no match for that retina though either. You really need either a working discrete card or the higher end 128MB iris pro to take the punishment of adobe + retina.

And/so for Adobe + 4k/5k external neither 13" or 15" 2016 would suffice?

13" is going to suffer as 64MB of eDRAM ain't 4k and especially not 5k happy. You'll be in the same boat as 2012 MacBook Pro owners when retina was new (complaints of slow graphics). So it'll work, but SLOW. I can tell you that without even trying it. The benchmarks for the Iris 550 above demonstrate this at Ultra and higher resolutions if you scroll down on the link.

15" can do it, with Polaris, but once again the crux of this conversation is Polaris support is in progress by Apple/Adobe, so it'l be a while before performance hits where it should on Adobe products, and frankly many other products.

The 2013-2015 15" models support external 4k at 60hz, but, with the caveat of only one display at 60hz, and no 5k support at all. Make sure you get one of the higher end models that has discrete graphics, those should deliver to external 4k needs (but not 5k).

But, if you're thinking external 4k/5k, I hate to say it, consider an iMac or Mac Pro. It's just like somebody who tells me they want to photograph a wedding with an APS-C, sure, you can. Should you? No. That's what FF's are for.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow