Need Help Making A Decision (K-30 vs K-5 IIs vs K-3 vs K-3 II)

Started Dec 7, 2016 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
peanut cookie New Member • Posts: 5
Need Help Making A Decision (K-30 vs K-5 IIs vs K-3 vs K-3 II)

Hello, everyone!

I first started my DSLR journey with a K-30 in 2013 and it has been my loyal travel companion since then. Unfortunately, there has been some issue with its aperture in all modes except Manual. I discovered this in April, a month before my last summer trip, and the shutter count at that time was less than 4000. As I shot landscape in Manual most of the time on my holiday, it wasn't a problem until I gave wildlife a try. Every shot I took in Av and Tv modes was pitch black and the AF was rather disappointing. I'm taking my camera to the service centre for a thorough check within the week, bus since it is no longer under warranty, I may have to pay more than $150 for repair.

I'm an avid landscape photographer, but it pains me a bit whenever I open my Lightroom as 99% of what I see is landscape. It'd be nice to add some variety to my collection. My current thought is 65% landscape (both day and night), 25% wildlife, and 10% everything else.

Lenses that I have:
1. Pentax DAL 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL
2. Pentax DAL 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED
3. Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM

My options:
1. Send my K-30 for repair and stay with it
2. Get a used K-5 IIs body ($336)
3. Get a new K-5 IIs body ($477)
4. Get a used K-3 body ($404)
5. Get a new K-3 body ($771)
6. Get a used K-3 II body ($605-624)
7. Get a new K-3 II body ($742 but out of stock)

I did consider changing to Canon, but I just couldn't bring myself to leave Pentax, not after 3 years with my K-30. Also, the new Canon 80D is way beyond my budget.

Other things to consider:
1. I shoot in RAW format all the time
2. I would like to save some money for my trip and not go all out on my equipment (I invited my brother to join me on the holiday so I'm paying for everything)

Thank you very much for your help and I look forward to reading your ideas!

peanut cookie's gear list:peanut cookie's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
ANSWER:
Canon EOS 80D Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow