Sony A6000 3 Month Review

Started Dec 5, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
RCSantos
RCSantos New Member • Posts: 1
Sony A6000 3 Month Review

I´ve got this camera in September of this year, and it is also the 1st time i bought a mirrorless camera, because in the past i have only owned DSLR´s. I bought this camera in the silver color in 2nd hand, with about 2200 shots taken and i paid about 325€/350$ for the camera with the kit lens 16-50mm, including all accessories and original box etc. For me it was a excellent deal, since the price of a new one with the kit lens here, is about 700$.-

In terms of design of the camera i like it very much, it is small and compact which i love because i can carry the camera in my jacket pockets with the kit lens anywhere i go. I would love that the body was made of magnesium alloy, but this plastic body it is not bad, and it´s not a crappy plastic. The viewfinder is good, i´ve seen better ones but this one it´s not bad. But hell sure does help when i´m shooting in sunny conditions.

In terms of button placement, its not bad, i love having 2 dials, since previous DSLR i have owned have only one, with this i can change the aperture and shutter speed easily in Manual Mode. The buttons have a nice "click feel a not a spongy one like i found in some canons DSLR´s i tested. In the end i would love to have one or two more custom buttons besides the two the camera already have, but with time i used this camera, having only two custom buttons is enough.

The quality of photos taken with this camera, is simply awesome, the dynamic range, low light performance which is also very good (ISO 6400 no problem), and the detail of the photos is near excellent. The part that i was little bit skeptical was the AF performance. I have to say in the daylight in conjunction with the massive 11 fps with AF, and 179 points phase detection, this thing is a monster. i capture a lot of moments that i could´t do with my Entry/Mid level DSLR´s. Subject tracking is very good, the burst photos i taken, generally 3 out of 10 came unfocused, and this is with the kit lens. When it comes to the low light AF performance, it still lags behind the DSLR´s, but the time that it take to adquire focus compared to a Nikon D5300 of a friend of mine, its not that slow, it may take a sec or two, but that´s not bad.

The video quality as far i tested, is excellent. And in a addition of the XAVC-S codec, it become even better. And let´s not talk about the video options for those who are videographers , which include zebra, focus peaking, and many more things.

Focus peaking is simply awesome, because i am buying old lenses and adapters, for a fraction of the cost, and when it comes to manual focusing, focus peeking makes a lot easier focusing even on the small details. It really is that easy.

The Battery life, is okay, with the original battery i get around 380+ photos, but now i have a solution for that problem. I bought a 10400mAh powerbank, and 2 spare batteries and a usb charger. So when i´m shooting i have 3 batteries, when the battery runs out, i put in the usb charger, which plugs in to the powerbank.

PS: What i can say is, i´ve change from DSLR to the Mirroless, and i couldn't be happier. I don´t need anymore to carry tons of camera, lenses, etc, i can take this camera whatever i want in my jacket, and that is simply awesome. For first time users switching from a compact camera to a upward system, i recommend to you to look at this camera, or other mirrorless cameras in the market. In terms of sony, yes there is the A6300 and A6500, but at the price the A6000 sells new, it is a bargain.

RCSantos's gear list:RCSantos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS10 Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS LG G2 Snapseed +2 more
Sony a6000
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 12, 2014
RCSantos's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
great
= community average
Nikon D5300 Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow