Here is how I use the lever on the EM1 and EM5ii to do back button focus

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimH123 Contributing Member • Posts: 910
Here is how I use the lever on the EM1 and EM5ii to do back button focus

When searching the internet for how best to set up Back Button Focus, I mostly find the instructions to go to the Gear Menu and then item 'A' AF Mode and to set S-AF to Mode 3. Certainly this causes the camera to operate in Back Button Focus. But it always operates in Back Button Focus.

Instead, I leave S-AF set to mode 1 and go to item 'A' AF Mode and set MF to Mode 3.

I then go to to Gear menu, item 'B' and set the Lever Function to Mode 5.

I then pick a button I what to use as my Back Button Focus Button. On my EM5ii, I pick the Fn4 Button and set it to AEL/AFL.

Using this setup, what I get now is when the lever is UP, the camera works normally and focuses using the shutter button. When the lever is DOWN, I use the Fn4 button to focus and the shutter button does not disturb the focus.

I do the same with my EM1 and choose a button near the shutter button and do it the same way.

On the EM5ii, I also set the Fn2 button for Peaking and the Fn3 button for magnifying.

I find that these settings work best for me and allow quick access as needed when doing manual focusing with the lever down.

I am actually surprised that this method of doing Back Button Focus is not shown on most sites that show how to do Back Button Focus.  I absolutely like using the lever function to enable or disable this capability.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 +11 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow