Extraordinary

Started Dec 3, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bigkiwiboy
bigkiwiboy New Member • Posts: 17
Extraordinary

At first the D5 looks and feel like a D4 - or a D3, D2 etc, but in reality the D5 is from a whole different generation. The latest autofocus is extraordinary. In 3D continuous mode, I'm getting a rejection rate of about 1% shooting sports with a 300mm f4 PF ED attached! It's nothing to shoot a sequence even at 12 fps and have every shot in focus. I bought the XQD version which is noticeably quicker than the D3 was with CF cards. I've shot video at HD resolution and the focus performance in video mode is improved but still not fantastic. The footage is great quality, although I have yet to try shooting 4K. The touch display is long overdue, but completely intuitive to use, and infinitely faster to review shots, with the 'pinch' zoom function etc already familiar to anyone with a smartphone. Battery life is extraordinary too, although autofocus and VR functionality are obviously an overhead,  as is the http server which I use all the time. It's hard to find anything to criticise, but I really wish that the Mode button was still in it's old position on the top deck.

bigkiwiboy's gear list:bigkiwiboy's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Kodak DCS660 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1X Nikon D2H +26 more
Nikon D5
21 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Jan 5, 2016
bigkiwiboy's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
unrated
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Nikon D3 Nikon D4 Nikon D5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow