Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 10-20?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
heavenscanwait New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 10-20?

motobloat wrote:

I wrote this in a previous thread about wide angles, but it's good stuff (of course it is, I wrote it haha!). The short answer is: you have to define your priorities before you decide, because they are all different and all have different pros and cons.

Indeed, they are all different. Depends on what your priorities are. I wanted a good all-arounder that didn't make too many big compromises, and went to 10mm (so after some debate I excluded the Tokina 12-24 and Nikon 12-24 lenses). I also wanted to use regular filters (so that excluded the Sigma 8-16). I also really wanted a constant aperture lens, but it wasn't a must-have.

I finally settled on the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 and I'm happy with it. As Roger Cicala wrote in his wide-angle DX roundup, the "Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 has a bit more distortion than the others but delivers very nice images and is also built well. It does everything well." Sort of a jack of all trades lens - no major problems, but no big wins in any category either.

The Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 was a close second due to it's large aperture, but I didn't like the short range (only 5mm), the lack of a 10mm position and the very high CAs. I also have a D3200 as a backup and I wouldn't have had AF on that camera if I bought the old version (the new version that just came out has an in-lens focus motor, so it will autofocus with all Nikon DLSRs). The Tokina 12-24 f/4 also was a close runner up, but I decided that I really wanted something wider, even if it meant losing the 24mm position.

These were my notes on looking at the different wide angle lenses I considered:

Other random notes:

I'm in a similar dilemma, albiet in 2016.

Now that the tokina has 11-20 mm F2.8, which one would you prefer, Tokina 11-20 or Sigma 10-20 F3.5  (I've checked the prices and these are not worlds apart).

Regards, Zahid

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow