Doubling down on N1

Started Nov 28, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fuoriclasse New Member • Posts: 3
Doubling down on N1

Long time lurker here and real amateur enthusiast...

I own a V1 & V2, have basically every lens (32mm f1.2 and CX 70-300) except for the 10-100. I've always found no matter the setup, the low-light performance was suspect at best. This included final image quality but also autofocus quality, even on some of the faster glass (18.5mm and 32mm included).

Last week, due to the Black Friday sales, I had a chance to pick up a brand new D5200 from The Source in Canada, as it was on sale at $473 (pre tax). Granted, the kit lens did get good reviews, but it was a f3.5 wide open.

I don't know why I was expecting that to be a better setup than my V2 + 18.5 or 32 mm primes, so I bit the bullet and bought the D5200.

Boy, was I disappointed!  I would show you some test shots at very low light, but my wife doesn't like me publicly posting shots of our newborn (totally understandable). I would say that I like the V2 so much more.

I would imagine the D5200 + faster DX glass (such as the f1.8 35mm lens) would have been comparable, but I can't justify spending more money on camera gear. Especially with a second baby on the way. So I returned the D5200 yesterday.

So, Nikon 1 it is. I have a SB-N5 and just bought a white SB-N7 on Amazon (it was down to $129). I also bought a SB-N7 diffuser on Amazon (third party seller).

Long live the Nikon 1. If the J6 comes with EVF and a slightly larger sensor, I'd be extremely happy. Also very excited for some of those N1 lenses that are unreleased (where the patent info has been made public).

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow