Need help: X-T2 vs A7Rii dillemma

Started Nov 22, 2016 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
flash9933 Junior Member • Posts: 40
Need help: X-T2 vs A7Rii dillemma

I currently have X-E1 with 18-55mm F2.8-4.0, 10-24mm F4.0, 23mm F1.4, 35mm F1.4 and 56mm F1.2. I love the image quality and the Jpegs output coming the combos. I seldom do RAW editing.

However X-E1 AF-S and AF-C can no longer keep up with my growing daughter (now almost 1 year old). X-E1 AF can not cope with even minor movement especially with 56mm lens which has thin focus plane. And 56mm lens is my most used lens as I love the quality of isolation and bokeh the lens created.

So it is time for me to upgrade to a better camera body. X-T2 is one option but I understand AF-C will not work well in any of the lens that I currently have. On the other hand, A7R ii is only 50% more cost than X-T2 in my country. Also Fuji lens are not really much cheaper than Sony lens in my country (not sure why). E.g. Sony 28mm F2.0 vs Fuji 23mm F1.4 (Sony lens cheaper)

What I like about A7R ii.

1. Due to the 42mp resolution and crop function, each lens can be additional used as cropped 18mp lens. This should reduce the no of lens I need.

2. Better Eye AF (with AF-C) which could prove useful for my application

3. Most Sony lens has better close up ability (better minimum focus) and with the high resolution, most lens will be good enough for my occasional "macro" photos. I only find 10-24mm to have good close up ability.

4. With IBIS, I could use prime lens to take 4k video. Also reduce lens changing (no need to change to OIS zoom for video). I don't think I need IBIS for photos much though

What I like about X-T2

1. I love Fujifilm Jpegs and I don't really do RAW editing much (don't like to spend time on this)

2. I enjoy using X-E1 so I guess I will much prefer using X-T2 than the Sony body

3. I could still add 50mm F2 (when available) or 90mm F2 for AF-C capability and the cost plus X-T2 is still cheaper than A7R ii

4. I could still wait a bit for X-T2 price to drop? But I doubt it will happen anytime soon with Fujifilm having problem meeting the market demand

Thanks in advance for the help, opinion and advice.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow