Sony 70-400 G2 versus Canon 100-400 II f4.5-5.6 or ???

Started Nov 17, 2016 | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Philnw2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,679
Sony 70-400 G2 versus Canon 100-400 II f4.5-5.6 or ???

I've considered the 150-600 as well, Tamron and Sigma, but i just can't make myself buy it. Its a larger and heavier lens, and i just know that i typically will not carry it along. I'm not a bird shooter, besides taking the occasional opportunity.

The x-400 range really appeals to me. Enough reach and easier to get in many packs, about 7" length and 3.3lbs for both of these lenses. The 150-600s are 10 in. length and weigh about 1 lb more - not quite.

There's nothing more expensive than a lens you leave at home all the time

Both of these lenses cost about the same $2000 and change depending on current sales, etc. The Canon has weather resistance built in which i think is excellent, so in bad weather, i wouldn't have worry about protecting the lens so much, just concentrate on protecting the camera - i've used these plastic sleeves a few times and don't find that a problem. The other good thing about the Canon is it would be easier to resell if i ever wanted to. I also have the MC-11 which i've heard will operate the Canon until such time i get a MBIV.

The Sony version has the advantage of the wider range which i think is useful especially with wildlife but other perspectives when one is out shooting. the Imaging Resource shows in their blur graph how well the Sony is designed, but not weather resistant.

So any comments on which way i should go? I know a few bird shooters who haul their long lenses around in carts, put up a large tripod and expensive gimbal and spend hours in one location. Thats just not me. But there are times where i could've benefited from a longer reach. And a semi-carryable lens would work well for me i think. Thanks for any advice.

-- hide signature --

Phil B

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28mm F2 +3 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow