Dissapointed with the Sony FE 50mm f/1.8

Started Nov 15, 2016 | Discussions thread
Craig NC
Craig NC Contributing Member • Posts: 612
Re: Dissapointed with the Sony FE 50mm f/1.8

FatSmurf wrote:

addieleman wrote:

I too have the FE 1.8/50 and I'm happy with it on the A7R2. Yes, it's AF is sloooow in AF-S mode and sometimes misses focus completely, but in AF-C it works better (on the A7R2, maybe not on other A7 cameras). For landscapes the lens works very well in my experience, if stopped down to f/8 to get across-the-frame sharpness.

For the record, camera and lens are updated to the latest firmware versions.

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Ad.

My FE 1.8/50mm doesn't focus right in AF-C mode with my a7s ii. It does this thing where it "pulses" on the focus point. As in it quickly focuses, then de-focuses, then re-focuses, de-focuses etc etc and does a total of 6 times. It does this in every situation and every lighting condition 100% of the time as long as it is in AF-C mode. (However, it doesn't do this when the dial is set to movie mode.)

In AF-S mode it focuses fine. Just a bit noisy but finds focus relatively quickly and doesn't pulse.

My lens is running the latest firmware update. I thought this was just normal behavior for the lens but is it just my copy?

i think It's your copy.  I never have that happen.  The firmware update was also a nice improvement.  I did  have an issue where the lens would not focus at infinity.   I sent it off to Sony and they fixed It.  This lens is plenty sharp across the entire frame when stopped down for landscapes.

Craig NC's gear list:Craig NC's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow