I bought myself an Olympus 75-300 II

Started Nov 13, 2016 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Hiphopapotamus Senior Member • Posts: 1,175
I bought myself an Olympus 75-300 II

At first glance? This lens looks like the cheaper Olympus 45-150, and at a distance you would be hard pressed to tell the two apart. That's were it digresses, the Olympus 75-300 is much more sturdy. The zoom mechanism doesn't rattle or wobble if anything it feels a bit stiff. Zoom creep is a non-issue with this lens as a result. What does one do when they buy a 600mm lens? Take a 6x4 shot of the moon of course.

This is a much improved lens in comparison to the plastic fantastic 40-150, it' still plastic but it feels more solid, and the zoom mechanism is far superior to the 40-150 in every possible way, it's only a passing similarity that would say they had anything in common. It weighs about 5 times as much and though only a couple of inches taller you can tell whel you pick it up the build quality feels excellent.

It's not perfect but for a cheap super-telephoto lens I can't complain much. It lacks contrast and punch on the 300mm lens where this was shot, turning up the clarity and contrast helps somewhat in fixing that, but for $300 I can't really complain too loudly.

It's small, and though for typical Olympus behavior it doesn't come with a lens hood or pouch you can get a 58mm lens hood off of most places online for just a matter of $2.50 of any description you like. I went for one of these plain metal lens hoods that are a bit shorter than the official one and more suited to a lens unlike the official one which is from the Four Thirds 70-300. It's ribbed to catch stray light and its the right shape for a telephoto lens as apposed to a petal lens hood which is better suited for wide angle lenses to minimise visible vignetting from your hood on wide angles. There you go... Free tip for the day if you see a petal hood on a telephoto lens slap them for me.

Hiphopapotamus's gear list:Hiphopapotamus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Telephoto zoom lens • Micro Four Thirds • V315040BU000
Announced: Jan 30, 2013
Hiphopapotamus's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow