Nikon 105mm f/1.4E Crazy AF Fine-Tune Issue

Started Nov 4, 2016 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SL98 New Member • Posts: 17
Nikon 105mm f/1.4E Crazy AF Fine-Tune Issue

Hi guys, something really weird is happening with my 105. When I first got it a month ago, it needed no AF micro-adjustments. Now it needs nothing short of –20 on the same D610 body—yes, –20, I promise.

When I first bought this 105, I tried it out in-store to make sure that it didn't have any crazy issues, and it really didn't. The quality blew me away. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot with it much, but I did take it out a few times and I know it didn't need any adjustments. I shot it a lot at f/1.4 too, so it was pretty obvious.

I've taken the 105 on two trips in the car on reasonable roads, perhaps a bit bumpy, but nothing totally crazy. And I've taken my 50, 24–70 and 20 all over the place—i.e. long drives—with no issue. Other than transport, where there's really not more you can do than use a padded camera bag, I really baby all the lenses I have, even on shoots. (Most of what I shoot is static, so I'm never in a rush.)

Yesterday, I took it out to shoot again after a little while, but, strangely, none of my images were coming out focused. So I put it in Live View, and everything looked good again. And soon, I would discover this strange nightmare.

In school, I used an 85mm f/1.4G repeatedly for photojournalism-type work, and that thing was abused by loads of people. The AF always behaved the same way over 2 years, on the same body. None of my lenses have needed AF Fine-Tune adjustments on my 3-year-old D610 except for my 20mm f/1.4, but its degree of front focus (+7) has always been consistent—I noticed it immediately out of the box. I've never heard of a lens actually CHANGING so drastically from 0 to –20.

The 105 was such an expensive purchase, so I'm concerned. Not just because I believe this workaround reduces the minimum focus distance, but because it's such a weird thing to change. I would be less bothered if it was –20 out of the box. What gives? Has this happened to anyone with any lens?

SL98's gear list:SL98's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow