Why can't Adobe and Nikon work to have LR/CC/PS process Nikon color profiles?

Started Oct 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,629
Re: small final point

Eamon Hickey wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

I have no idea whether Adobe, Phase One etc want to use the Nikon proprietary metadata in the raw files. However, I would have thought some might, as it might give them a competitive advantage over those that don't. The ones that do would be able to say "our raw converter implements the in-camera settings such as Picture Control, D-Lighting... that other raw converters don't." The fact that no one does suggests to me that Nikon don't want to co-operate.

I understand the point you're making, and it's not unreasonable.

But I'll just note the counterpoint that I made in my original post: None of the software companies implements in-camera raw processing settings for any camera brand. It's not just Nikon. Even Canon users, by a wide margin the largest market segment, do not enjoy such support.

So, either all the camera companies are as perfidious as Nikon (admittedly, this is possible), or the software companies, so far, have not believed that the investment in providing these features is worth it. Or, as I said, some combination of the two.

Actually, one other last thought: I'm not holding my breath on this. The trend in imaging software is towards mobile, easy sharing, and seamless access on all your devices (i.e. the cloud). That's where the lion's share of R&D is going. It's been the clear focus of the Lightroom team for two years now, for example.

I just don't think there are all that many people who are simultaneously 1) willing to pay for third-party imaging software and 2) likely to base buying decisions on the ability to mimic in-camera settings in that third-party software. There are some, to be sure, but I don't think there's a horde. I suspect the software companies feel the same way.

All agreed.  An example of all the R&D being in mobile and the cloud is perhaps that Google, having bought Nik they then dropped Nik Collection as a paid-for product.  I guess this is so they can get the resources focused on the things you mention.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow