Why can't Adobe and Nikon work to have LR/CC/PS process Nikon color profiles?

Started Oct 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
photomy Regular Member • Posts: 193
Re: Why can't Adobe and Nikon work to have LR/CC/PS process Nikon color profiles?

Simon Garrett wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

One reason "other" software works faster than Nikon is the other software dumps most Nikon in camera settings. In theory it is possible to make other software recognise Nikon in camera settings - but only with slower processing.

I'd be surprised if that were true, but perhaps I've missed something.

The time taken to read Nikon metadata, along with the image data itself, is negligible. Adobe already reads some proprietary data (white balance). All software has to start with some initial settings; to start with settings derived from Nikon metadata would not take more than a few additional microseconds to read the metadata. Processing the image data to Nikon settings (rather than some other Adobe settings) is, I would have thought, unlikely to increase the time taken.

There would be additional programming time - to write the code to read the Nikon settings, to decide how to process them, and write code to do that. This would be a one-off.

However, for Adobe there could also be a saving in time. It might be that, with inside information from Nikon, they might not have to spend so much time creating camera profiles for each new Nikon camera but could create them automatically from Nikon information.

-- hide signature --

Simon

"The time taken to read Nikon metadata, along with the image data itself, is negligible."

It is not the time it takes to read the metadata, it is the time it takes to actually use the information to process the image that can slow things down.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow