Why can't Adobe and Nikon work to have LR/CC/PS process Nikon color profiles?

Started Oct 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,630
Re: Why can't Adobe and Nikon work to have LR/CC/PS process Nikon color profiles?

Neila1975 wrote:

iainlea wrote:

Subject says it all...

Why can't Adobe/C1/etc. process Nikon NEF images with the in camera specified profile ?

I am interested in a streamlined workflow so why can't Nikon give/licence the part of their View* software code that parses the in camera profile to Adobe and other raw convertor companies?

Nikon! you should be making our lives easier and not adding extra steps to get the most out of your gear.

To be fair to Nikon their software is still superior to Adobe for IQ and colour quality when viewing and part processing NEF's

I would say that's a personal preference and not a fact.  There is no single "right" rendering of a raw image.  You may prefer Nikon's rendering - perhaps many people do - but I don't think one can say as a matter of objective fact that either Adobe or Nikon is "superior" in quality.

For example, with my D300, Capture NX2 used to over-sharpen at times at default settings, to my judgement.  Sometimes I could see ringing artefacts on sharp edges.  Adobe Camera Standard profile applied less sharpening by default.   However, some people prefered the Nikon sharpening, regarding it as giving a crisper image.  I don't think one could say either was "right".

(I say part processing because I prefer the UI of Adobe ACR and its functionality to Nikons rather rigid and user unfriendly inteface!). If I were them, I wouldn't be too happy giving away years of hard work in order for Adobe to become an even stronger player. FWIW I still use CNX2 save to TIFF and finish in ACR/Photoshop.

I find NX2 rather clunky.  I have done a lot of tests over the years comparing NX2 and LR.  On a very few images the NX2 rendering was more pleasing to me, but for most LR was the same or in some cases better.  However, highlight and shadow recovery are (to me) much, much better in LR than NX2 (or NXD).

Again, I'm not claiming to be "right", only that this is a matter of subjective choice.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow