Why can't Adobe and Nikon work to have LR/CC/PS process Nikon color profiles?

Started Oct 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
iainlea
OP iainlea Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: Why can't Adobe and Nikon work to have LR/CC/PS process Nikon color profiles?

Simon Garrett wrote:

iainlea wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

One reason "other" software works faster than Nikon is the other software dumps most Nikon in camera settings. In theory it is possible to make other software recognise Nikon in camera settings - but only with slower processing.

Agreed, but personally I doubt anything will happen. Nikon management seem to be like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

They're losing bottom-end and mid-range to smartphones, and they've no answer to that. They should be integrating with networking and social media, but Snapbridge suggests they don't understand the problem, let alone the solution.

Meanwhile, it's likely that mirrorless will eventually largely displace traditional DSLRs. Mirrorless removes virtually all the precision moving parts (and cost) from a camera, and creates new opportunities. I was surprised recently to see several leading professional photographers using cameras like the Fuji X-T2 (on the basis not that they're better than top-end DSLRs, but that they're good enough, and have other benefits such as lightness).

The innovation here isn't coming from Nikon or Canon; they have profitable DSLR product lines screaming that no one must kill their babies with competing products. They produce half-hearted mid-range mirrorless when they should be creating top-end mirrorless. I've seen this before in big companies. Trouble is, if you don't kill your babies, someone else will.

I'm not suggesting NIkon will die, but I don't yet see any realisation that their world is changing. Opening up their proprietary software and data infrastructure is just one thing they need to do but probably won't.

Exactly Simon!

I have been telling anyone that will listen that they should have been packing the electronics of an android cell phone into the external battery grip so that all the communication options are available to the Nikon DSLR family... they could sell a bunch as long as they could get the cell comms module to see the SD/CF/QXD cards... this is not rocket science.

Someone should do a kickstarter project

I have been reasonably loyal due to my investment in glass but in 2017 I will probably take a close look at the Fuji GFX MF platform and maybe Sony a7r3...

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow