Why can't Adobe and Nikon work to have LR/CC/PS process Nikon color profiles?

Started Oct 24, 2016 | Discussions thread
Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,578
Re: Why can't Adobe and Nikon work to have LR/CC/PS process Nikon color profiles?

iainlea wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

One reason "other" software works faster than Nikon is the other software dumps most Nikon in camera settings. In theory it is possible to make other software recognise Nikon in camera settings - but only with slower processing.

I'd be surprised if that were true, but perhaps I've missed something.

The time taken to read Nikon metadata, along with the image data itself, is negligible. Adobe already reads some proprietary data (white balance). All software has to start with some initial settings; to start with settings derived from Nikon metadata would not take more than a few additional microseconds to read the metadata. Processing the image data to Nikon settings (rather than some other Adobe settings) is, I would have thought, unlikely to increase the time taken.

There would be additional programming time - to write the code to read the Nikon settings, to decide how to process them, and write code to do that. This would be a one-off.

However, for Adobe there could also be a saving in time. It might be that, with inside information from Nikon, they might not have to spend so much time creating camera profiles for each new Nikon camera but could create them automatically from Nikon information.

Exactly! I have already spoken to my contact at Nikon NPS.

Maybe other NPS members should also contact NPS asking them why this is still not sorted in 2016!?

Nikon should be doing everything possible to keep their userbase happy especially after the D800/D600/D750 QA fiasco...

-- hide signature --

Agreed, but personally I doubt anything will happen.  Nikon management seem to be like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

They're losing bottom-end and mid-range to smartphones, and they've no answer to that.  They should be integrating with networking and social media, but Snapbridge suggests they don't understand the problem, let alone the solution.

Meanwhile, it's likely that mirrorless will eventually largely displace traditional DSLRs.  Mirrorless removes virtually all the precision moving parts (and cost) from a camera, and creates new opportunities.  I was surprised recently to see several leading professional photographers using cameras like the Fuji X-T2 (on the basis not that they're better than top-end DSLRs, but that they're good enough, and have other benefits such as lightness).

The innovation here isn't coming from Nikon or Canon; they have profitable DSLR product lines screaming that no one must kill their babies with competing products.  They produce half-hearted mid-range mirrorless when they should be creating top-end mirrorless.  I've seen this before in big companies.  Trouble is, if you don't kill your babies, someone else will.

I'm not suggesting NIkon will die, but I don't yet see any realisation that their world is changing.  Opening up their proprietary software and data infrastructure is just one thing they need to do but probably won't.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow